Why hello everybody! This is my first post and I’m really excited to get this thing going! Now, I can’t take full credit for this tutorial because I was inspired by a post on the blog, Dream, Create. If you want to check out her version of this, go here.
Anyways, I stumbled upon this tutorial while spending one of my many daily hours on Pinterest and I decided I had to give it a shot. While I thought the idea was pure GENIUS, I found out that the only fabric adhesive I had was iron-on and she used a no-heat necessary adhesive over at Dream, Create. So, here goes!
1. Basically, you just need a pair of shorts that could use a little attention, scissors, and a fabric adhesive of some kind. Like I said before, I used a heat-activated adhesive so this made my project pretty interesting.
2. Your next step, is to cut off however much you want to get out of the scallop. I found that longer shorts make this step easier because it gives you more material to work with, whereas shorter shorts can only be cut so short. I only ended up cutting off about 4 inches or so (not so good with measurements, dont judge me)
3. So this is where it got tricky…I had to figure out a way to “tape” the left over material I just cut off, to the inside of my shorts so that when I cut the scallop, it wouldn’t fray. So, I turned my shorts inside out, and using my iron, started to “glue” the leftover material to inside of the shorts all the way around.
So, when you’re done it’ll look should look something like this…
4. Your next step is to go ahead and draw out your scallop design. No, you don’t need a template. Live a little, and wing it (you’re going to notice this is something I do A LOT)
5. OK, now you’re almost done! Just go ahead and cut your shorts along the lines (or not because you decide to do some even cooler edge I didn’t think of, in that case post your version of it in the comments! 🙂 )
And there you have it! You have your awesome new pair of scalloped shorts for summer! (Yes, I have weird legs/knees and its something I’ve gotten used to 🙂 ) Hope you guys liked my first post and make sure to leave your comments telling me what you think!